Here’s the formal deal. (Want the tl;dr?)
Senior Editor, Education / U.S. News and World Report / Washington, D.C.
Manage team of three reporters focused on national consumer-oriented higher education coverage. Oversee content calendar and coordinate daily copy flow, including content and copy editing expert and student bloggers in addition to freelance and staff writers, producers and reporters.
• Promote data-focused, interactive and social-friendly content, including using new tools and experimenting with non-article content.
• Determine content and lineups for launches, including using metrics to determine popular topics and areas for expanding content offerings
• Involved in ongoing CMS discussions as liaison for Education vertical, advocating for vertical and overall editorial needs, coordinating testing and training in Education vertical and working with technical and editorial staff to solve issues and improve the working experience for all staff
Assistant Editor, Education / U.S. News and World Report / Washington, D.C.
January 2013-August 2015
Oversaw the daily copy flow of the education vertical, ensuring fresh, audience-appropriate content appeared on the site from staff reporters and writers as well as freelancers and bloggers.
• Edited content for accuracy and style, including line editing and writing appropriate, SEO-friendly headlines. Approved content pitches from in-house and outside reporters and producers and recruited coordinated freelancers and expert and student bloggers, maintaining an ongoing editorial calendar.
• Participated in cross-vertical task force representing Education to select and implement new CMS, including advocating for our content needs and overseeing testing and training for the vertical.
• Encouraged and promoted more interactive and social-friendly content, as well as more data-reliant content and content that crossed verticals to take advantage of the wealth of data U.S. News has.
Managing Editor of Digital Content / NJN Publishing / Flemington, N.J.
July 2011-January 2013
Started as New Media Editor, overseeing, developing and implementing web and social media strategies for a group of community newspapers on NJ.com. and working with reporters and editors to produce multimedia elements for news stories.
Position evolved into Managing Editor/Digital Content, which added responsibilities such as:
– Guiding cultural transition from weekly, print-focused newsroom to real-time digital news operation.
– Helping direct full-time newsroom staff of 20 people and flow of content both from staff reporters and photographer as well as users and readers; helping schedule and work with freelancers.
Grew overall views of all NJN digital content more than 38 percent and uniques 10 percent year-over-year during Q1 2012.
Education Reporter / The Sedalia Democrat / Sedalia, Mo.
October 2007-August 2009
Covered local school districts and community college, education issues and classroom events for 12,000-circulation daily paper and produced multimedia content for Web. Developed and maintained sources on the beat, from students and parents to board members in multiple districts across nine-county area. Coordinated in-depth multimedia projects on the Missouri State Fair and local students’ trip to Washington, D.C., for the inauguration.
Staff Writer / NJN Publishing / Somerville, N.J.
April 2005-March 2007
Wrote five to eight stories per week on county government, hospital, county seat and county college in addition to spot news and features for 48,000-circulation weekly paper as well as longer features for monthly lifestyle magazine. Developed and coordinated multi-part, multi-story series, working with other writers on individual and co-written pieces. Maintained, expanded, and improved the Update Newslog section of Web site, including editing and posting photos, and producing text and video content daily in real-time. One of only two writers included on company-wide task force with executive editors and company president to address online content initiatives.
Staff Writer / Worrall Community Newspapers / Union, N.J.
October 2004-March 2005
Started on municipal beat for 4,500-circulation weekly community newspaper, then quickly moved to cover county government, county college and magnet schools in two-county region. Wrote eight to 10 news and feature stories per week for chain of 14 weekly newspapers reaching 54,000 subscribers. Relied on open records, particularly budgets and finance documents, to generate stories on county officials and actions.
M.S., Interactive Communications / 2010
Quinnipiac University, Hamden, Conn. GPA 4.0.
B.A., Political Science / 2004
Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, N.Y. Awarded Ann B. Palmieri Memorial Prize for academic course work.
Kansas City Press Club / 2009
• Gold, Beat Reporting for “Warsaw Budget Crisis.”
• Silver, Feature for “Text messaging keeps kids talking without talking.”
• Bronze, General Reporting for “Teen Pregnancy in Pettis County.”
Suburban Newspapers of America / 2006
Second Place, Best In-Depth Reporting, for series “The Changing Face of Somerville.”